Point Lonsdale - Lighthouse, sunrise
The Point Lonsdale lighthouse is the first guiding light to the entrance of Port Phillip visible from the sea. The defence seen at the front of the Lighthouse reflect the importance of the defence of Port Phillip and its major cities of Melbourne and Geelong during the two World Wars.
The lighthouse precinct buildings, including a foghorn shed built in 1884 and an explosives shed (later used as a rocket shed) built in 1891, are of architectural significance. The lighthouse is a typical and aesthetically pleasing example of an early 20th-century lighthouse design. The foghorn shed is the only one known from a Victorian lighthouse.